To help celebrate our 100 years of incorporation in 2002, a centennial committee researched Spring Grove’s history and published a book called “Village of Spring Grove – Centennial History 1902-2002.” Of course our history started much earlier then that. In the 1700s the native Potawatomis of the area named our Nippersink Creek “Neversink” which translates to “place of small waters”. In 1834 as the result of a treaty signed with our government, the Potawatomis, Chippewas (Ojibwa) and Ottawa Indians were removed from the this area although wandering bands still came around once in a while. An early settler, Jonathan Imeson was said to have hidden his bed from curious Indians.
Our Centennial Book is available for purchase with a price of $34.95. It is a hardcover book, 137 pages, with a dust jacket and filled with pictures and stories from the last 100 years.
We are looking for help in identifying this family. We received the photo from Mike Fraser whose grandfather Michael Joseph Retterath was the photographer. It dates from around 1905 and was taken in the Spring Grove area.
Look at Local History Week (May 2-8, 2004)
Join us for a historic walking tour of downtown Spring Grove on May 8th at 1:30 p.m. Laura Frumet and storyteller Jim May will lead a guided tour of the old downtown area. Additionally, the interiors of Main Street Foods, Neil Anderson’s Law Office, and the old Village Hall will be open for tour. Meet at the Spring Grove Grade School Parking Lot.